Internet viral sensation : Colour Of Voices (C.O.V) is an award-winning multi-racial & multilingual contemporary Malaysian A Cappella group that loves to sing in perfect pitch – whenever, wherever!
With videos that have reached out to millions of viewers and subscribers, C.O.V has gained a reputable status within the A Cappella scene in Malaysia.
Ever since then, this multi-lingual group that consists of Malay, Sabahan, Indian and Chinese members has performed together for various occasions; from festivals to corporate events.
“This is more than just an A Cappella band. C.O.V wants to spread the message to all that we live in a multi-racial country with cultural diversity; let us try to understand, learn more about each other and live together in harmony. We wouldn’t let anyone break this beautiful bond that we have between us.” C.O.V says.
The group is also well known for performing in multiple languages ranging from English, Malay, Mandarin, Cantonese; to Hindi, Tamil, Korean, Japanese and many more. By virtue of their wonderful songs, C.O.V has been training hard to entertain and bring joy to the utmost number of people.
“We are not only learning a new language, but also embracing the beauty of its culture and tradition. Hence, it makes us proud to have been brought up in Malaysia, the land with multiple races and cultural diversity.” the band says.
Through their music performances and videos, C.O.V aims to spread the message of unity at a time where the world is battling many forms of persecution.
“Our goal is to bring “colour” to people’s ears, with our harmonious voices.”
• Beatboxer | Group Leader | Producer | Malaysian Chinese | KL based
Tux | TuxBoNic 吳俊利
• Soprano | Vocal Coach | Indian | KL based
Kru | Krutika Muralidharan
• Bassist | Arranger | Malaysian Malay | Pahang based
Shark | Jaswan Abdullah
• Baritone | Vocalist | Malaysian Sabahan | KL based
Joe | Juhairee Khan
• Tenor 1 | Vocalist | Malaysian Malay | KL based
Asnal | Asnal Nashriq Bin Khirrudin
• Tenor 2 | Vocalist | Malaysian Malay | KL based
Ikhwan | Mohammad Ikhwan Shah
Group History :
In the early days when Colour Of Voices was formed (beginning of 2014) for a one year duration, the group made a great deal of effort to meet and practice without any shows or offers.
Especially Jaswan (C.O.V’s bassist) had to take a 3 hour bus ride all the way from Kuantan to KL just to meet the members and practice together with them.
However, the group believes that it’s their passion as a team that took the group forward and helped them overcome all odds in the next two years.
In the year 2015, Tux decided to quit his full time job as a sound designer in an advertising agency and step in as the group leader of Colour Of Voices. He therefore invested full time in C.O.V while running his own music production company simultaneously.
Therefore, Colour Of Voices strategically pushed themselves forward and came out of the idle stage by creating a variety of content and projects.
“All of us are committed to the group; we find the time (usually on weekends) to gather in KL and use every minute we have to practice and polish our singing skills. As for other days when we’re far away from each other, we make optimum use of technology and even use tools like WhatsApp to practice!” Asnal says.
Group Wiki :
C.O.V came into existence in early 2014 with 6 original members; Tux, Asnal, Jaswan, Ikhmal, Darwis and Nasrul. They collaborated with Wakaka Entertainment that was run by Saiful, Azuan & Bo.
After singing together for some time, the 3 original members (Ikhmal, Nasrul and Darwis) decided to leave the group to pursue their respective life goals. Subsequent to careful planning and discussions, C.O.V eventually left Wakaka Entertainment and decided to manage the group on their own.
In 2015, Tux invested and built a Music & Audio Production company “Polymath Records Sdn Bhd” (formally known as Broo Productions). The company offers a variety of services which include song-writing, recording, mixing, mastering, sound designs, SFX & foleys, film scoring, talent managements (musicians) and many more.
With immediate effect, Tux and his team began making a series of projects with Colour Of Voices.
Through these years, Polymath Records Sdn Bhd (formally known as Broo Productions) has provided musical works for hundreds of clients worldwide including international artists, leading commercial brands, TV documentaries & films. The take-off-journey has been wonderful and the success has been demonstrated loudly to the public.
Upon careful plannings between Tux & C.O.V, the strategy designed for Colour Of Voices was simple. The company also set goals and achieved them step by step via partnerships/networking-setups with professionals and experts.
This includes :
• Establishing and popularising the C.O.V brand via customised Digital Marketing,
• Financing into Advertisements for prominence,
• PR with various agencies at an international-level,
• Profile Building : Creating detailed platforms for prospective clients to see and follow, such as :
– Website and social medias,
– Organising group photoshoots with professionals,
– Gathering various professional video production crews for projects, and many more,
• Re-investing aggressively in various high-end production equipment and tools. For example :
– Professional audio & video production hardware,
– Softwares and plugins,
– High-end cameras and equipment,
– Lighting equipment, backdrops, green-screens, and many more.
• Content Building : Aggressively creating a variety of content and projects to keep the group active within the industry for years. Ranging from :
– Creative youtube videos and contents (creative medleys, top-hits covers, festive seasons related songs, LIVE sessions, merchandise giveaways, and many more),
– Corporate-related commercial projects,
– TV commercial jingles & radio jingles productions,
– Collaborate with international recording artists via vocal productions, acapella music arrangements and music videos,
– Stay active in the mandarin, english and malay language related networkings, interviews and events,
– Movie casting,
– and even participating in talent contests & singing contests!
Meeanwhile, within Colour Of Voices themselves, it has always been a great team effort.
The tasks are evenly distributed amongst the group according to each’s strengths :
• Jaswan : Being one of the most experienced musicians of C.O.V, Jaswan focuses on the Acapella Music Arrangement, Composing & Musical Quality Control. He is dedicated to his work, a creative genius and very punctual. Despite living far away from the city, having two children and family responsibilities, he manages to make time and create brilliant arrangements. He is a person who likes to execute ideas as soon as they are spoken about – a quality which motivates and inspires the entire group.
• Krutika : Vocal Coaching, Quality Control (on & off stage), Copywriting, Makeup & Styling. Having been a vocal teacher for 12 years, she takes charge of arranging weekly practice sessions, making sure every member is prepared for the given task. It has been a learning experience for her too, teaching adult males who haven’t had any formal training in music. She identified what their strengths are and has moulded her methods/strategies to suit the needs of the group. Kru is the only Female member in the group, and the only member with Perfect Pitch.
• Joe : Photography & Video Production. One of Joe’s interests has always been studying the visual arts. As a person who is sincere and passionate about his craft, he willingly steps in to help with photography and video editing, the group’s productions and image designs whenever Tux is occupied with other responsibilities. One of his most iconic visual work would be the『2018 Raya Medley C.O.V』.
• Asnal : Being one of the original members of C.O.V, Asnal has spent a lot of time and has greatly contributed in promoting the group through various social media platforms. A calm, amicable and good-natured person, he is the glue that holds the group together.
• Ikhwan : A great follower who strives to achieve the goal set by the coach (Teacher Krutika & Teacher Jaswan) by training consistently and sets a good example for the rest. He’s also a human GPS and is gifted with an incredible sense of direction and navigation!
In addition to the fact that all the members from different races are undoubtedly talented in singing, musicality and performing, the group has also developed a culture of great communication (on and off stage) that stems from a healthy friendship.
With a little help from consistent mentoring, C.O.V is thriving in their career and positively impacting the lives of Malaysians at the same time.
Amongst all their successful viral videos, the『2016 Chinese New Year A Cappella Medley』was the biggest hit. In just one year’s time, C.O.V performed over hundreds of live shows and achieved a professional portfolio of tremendous exposure. That was the moment when Ikhwan and Joe joined the group, with the addition of Kru in 2017, and Colour Of Voices was thus revived as we know it today.
Some of C.O.V’s noteworthy achievements include :
• 『Penyanyi Harapan Baru』, ERA Digital Muzik Award 2016
• Collaborated for commercial projects with leading brands : Petronas, Legoland, Nescafé, and many more.
• International recognition : C.O.V has been invited to perform live in Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, HongKong.
• Starred in an award-winning movie :『A Journey Of Happiness 2019』
• Click here for full interviews & achievements
The group is looking forward to pursue their artistry in the future, aiming towards the possibility of Original Compositions & Productions, as well as more high quality content.